In the Spirit of Swing. The mission of Jazz at Lincoln Center
is to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for Jazz through performance, education and advocacy.
We believe Jazz is a metaphor for Democracy. Because jazz is improvisational, it celebrates personal freedom and encourages individual expression. Because jazz is swinging, it dedicates
that freedom to finding and maintaining common ground with
others. Because jazz is rooted in the blues, it inspires us to face adversity with persistent optimism.
2009 Essentially Ellington Winners
- Garfield High School, Seattle, WA - First Place
- Roosevelt High School, Seattle, WA - Second Place
- Eau Claire Memorial High School, Eau Claire, WI - Third Place
- New World School of the Arts, Miami, FL - Honorable Mention
- American Music Program , Portland, OR - Winner of Conglomerate Band Workshop