The Payroll Manager is primarily responsible for effective management and administration of the organization’s overall payroll function including: payroll processing, tax requirements/filings, issue resolution, monthly, quarterly and annual processes, general accounting reconciliations, verifications and controls, internal and external audits and employee support. This position will also be responsible identifying areas of functional improvement and implementing new systems or procedures to generate department/processing efficiencies as well as ensuring that all internal processes are in compliance with the policies of Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) and city, state and federal regulations.
- Ensure compliance, reporting and fiduciary oversight of JALC’s payroll function and processes and effectively manage work to meet deadlines;
- Implement, direct and manage payroll operations, including vendor management, day-to-day service delivery and issue resolution:
- Ensure the payroll function meets all statutory, regulatory and data privacy requirements.
- Maintain standard operating procedures, effective internal controls and service level agreements
- Manage all funding requests for net pay, tax filings, garnishments and benefits
- Manage all payroll tax reporting and filing requirements with payroll vendor
- Ensure data integrity in all payroll systems
- Handle special payments generated in JALC contract management system
- Prepare and reconcile weekly payroll journal entries
- Implement and enforce strict controls in compliance with organization and statutory requirements;
- Manage payroll audits. Provide detailed support for external auditors;
- Ensure payroll processing is in accordance with payroll accounting requirements. Participate in payroll expense GL account maintenance and reconciliations;
- Actively seek out and participate in training to ensure consistency and best practices and remain up to date on changes in the law that impact payroll or employment;
- Partner with Human Resources to manage benefits invoices, attendance tracking and leaves of absence, resolve payroll/employment issues and assist with reporting requests;
- Maintain strong working knowledge of existing collective bargaining agreements (CBA):
- Process union payroll and ensure compliance with multiple pay rules
- Prepare union dues and benefit payments according to CBA’s
- Serve as a resource for vendors, employees and management;
- Respond to employee requests, NYS Unemployment inquiries and payroll verification requests, prepare and process 403B payments, health insurance payments and flexible spending payments.
- Train employees in the use of TC-1 or other timekeeping system across JALC departments as needed;
- Handle all other projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience processing payroll;
- Experience with union payroll processing required;
- Working knowledge of ADP PCPW and ReportSmith preferred;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of city, state and federal labor laws;
- Superior command of MS Excel; knowledge of reporting software and ability to learn new programs quickly and thoroughly;
- Ability to handle personal and financial information with utmost discretion;
- Exemplary attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to multitask and manage various priorities and projects in a deadline-driven environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to comfortably work with all levels of employees and serve as a trusted resource;
- Previous supervisory experience combined with the ability to train others;
- Experience with payroll software implementation a plus;
- Ability to transition easily from working independently to working with a larger team;
- Knowledge of or keen interest in and appreciation of jazz and jazz culture.
Full time (Mon-Fri), some weekends or evenings required during audit or monthly close
Commensurate with experience